Friday, July 17, 2009

A little about my process when it comes to comissions.

I thought it might be interesting for some of you to know how I proceed with a commission.
It can vary a little bit, but most of the time it goes as follows:

I start off talking and listening a client. Most important! I get to know what they have in mind. I take some reference photos ( or some quick life studies if time/weather permits) I then present my ideas to the client a few days later.


These will be color and/or black and white. Usually they revolve around different compositions, color schemes and perspectives. Then the sketch is refined further in accordance to the clients wishes.

After an ok I proceed and do a quick color composition to be able to show the general feeling and atmosphere. I will then do a detailed drawing (that also needs to have the go-ahead) on a larger sheet of paper.



This is then gridded up and transferred to the canvas or board that will be used as substrate. If you look carefully you can see the faint blue lines on the image below, that help me get an enlarged and accurate drawing on to the painting surface.


After that I get set to start the painting! The most important thing for me is that the client gets what they want out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment